• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Tuesday, June 01, 2010

    Charlie Brooker on Spartacus

    As far as I'm aware there's nothing that connects Spartacus: Blood and Sand to the Bible, and so this post is slightly off-topic. But it's rare that one of my favourite columnists / TV presenters even mentions an almost-Bible film, so now that Charlie Brooker actually has, I can't resist mentioning it. Readers should be aware that, like the programme itself, the column is not for the easily offended. But on the other hand it does have some very funny lines such as this:
    Make no mistake: the gladiatorial scenes are pretty brutal. Limbs are hacked off with such nonchalant frequency, it sometimes feels more like an extreme whittling contest.
    Incidentally, this was apparently covered in the first episode in the current series of Brooker's Channel 4 show You Have Been Watching, but unfortunately, that was the one episode I missed.

    Juliette Harrisson has also posted her take on the series over at Pop Classics.

    2 Comments:

    • At 10:44 pm, June 01, 2010, Anonymous Doug Chaplin said…

      Oh pooh! I can't get Bravo, but that's the kind of review that makes you think "I want to see that for myself"

       
    • At 8:41 am, June 02, 2010, Blogger Matt Page said…

      It's funny, but I enjoyed Rome which this is being compared to, but I have very little desire to see this. But as I also don't get Bravo then it's not a quandary that will occupy too much of my thought time (at least until it comes out on DVD).

      Matt

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home