• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Friday, May 01, 2009

    Potter's Son of Man on DVD

    Many thanks to my friend Kevin Neece for tipping me off about this one: Dennis Potter's 1969 TV play Son of Man is available to buy on DVD. It doesn't appear to be an official release, and indeed, the fact that the seller has stated that "all transfers are very good quality considering the age of the material and I have used professional editing equipment to master" suggests that potential purchasers should not have high expectations about the film's picturee and sound quality. (It will also be in black and white not in colour as per the still above). Nevertheless, I know that a lot of people are desperate to see this production.

    In looking through my Son of Man label, I'm appalled to find that I've written so little on this film. I had planned to do a podcast on it, but sadly that is on pause for the foreseeable future.

    Anyway, I hope this makes a few people's days. It would be great to hear some feedback from first-timers (or, for that matter, anyone else) on this film, so feel free to post your comments.

    Labels: , ,

    3 Comments:

    • At 5:32 pm, May 01, 2009, Blogger Kevin C. Neece said…

      Hey, Matt. Thought you'd receive the news gladly. :) I'll warn that sellers and their items come and go on this site, so anyone interested had best act soon.

      One other seller is also offering it and many other "Play for Today" episodes, though I'm not sure of the DVD region and it has no packaging to speak of. This one is region-free. I'll offer a product review as soon as mine arrives.

      Also, where did this color image come from? It was my understanding that the original broadcast was in black & white.

      I'll be interested to hear more of your thoughts. Hope this helps people discover the film!

       
    • At 1:51 am, May 13, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Watch this 3 months ago after I bought a copy from seller. PAL not NTSC,so watched on my PC. Not bad over all.
      Rev.Frank John Petrick

       
    • At 6:46 am, December 08, 2014, Anonymous Dudley said…

      This is the most powerful portrayal of Christ's Passion that I have ever seen.
      It changed my life forever. Such simplicity. Made the Son of God, by Faith

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home