• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Saturday, September 27, 2008

    Paul Newman (1925-2008)

    I am deeply saddened to hear of the death of my favourite actor of all time, Paul Newman. Newman started his acting career in 1954 with a stinker - The Silver Chalice - but never looked back. He brought to the screen some of the cinemas most memorable characters including Butch Cassidy, Henry Gondorff, Fast Eddie Felson and my favourite, Cool Hand Luke. I've seen 20 of the 60+ films he stared in and he was mesmerising in almost everyone. Even when the film itself had little to recommend it Newman turned up and put in a grent performance.

    But it's his life off screen that impressed me most. He was famously married to Joanne Woodward for 50 years - almost unheard of in Hollywood. Whilst many of his colleagues in the fifties ruined themselves with drugs and drink he found his way to a steadier path. When he was faced with huge personal tragedy when his son, Scott, died of an overdose, he started a drug abuse prevention centre in his memory. And as he grew older he not only gave generously to charity, but had the foresight to start businesses in his name that would generate wealth for charities on his behalf.

    I'm saddened that I don't have the time right now to write down all I would like to say about Paul Newman, but it's late and I need to go home to my wife. I think he would have approved.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home